Learn and fight alongside Congressman Luis V. Gutierrez!
JUNE 2013 UPDATE: Congressman Gutierrez is now accepting resumes for the Constituent Advocate position that runs from summer 2013 to winter 2014. Please see HOW TO APPLY.
Congressman Luis V. Gutierrez' Constituent Advocate position provides individuals the opportunity to learn and fight alongside Congressman Gutierrez as a full-time salaried employee in his Chicago district office.
- A new person will be given the opportunity to learn and fight alongside Congressman Gutierrez every six months! Immigrant youth who have yet to receive their work permit are invited to apply in June 2013 for the second six-month commitment.
- Individuals selected for Congressman Luis V. Gutierrez' Constituent Advocate position may be able to receive college credit for their work.
Congressman Luis V. Gutierrez seeks a vibrant and committed individual for a six-month assignment as Constituent Advocate in his Chicago district office. This individual will help Congressman Gutierrez serve the constituents of Illinois' fourth district and work for a fair immigration solution. This will be an ideal opportunity to develop leadership skills and to learn the ins and outs of immigration casework, constituent services, and immigration reform advocacy in your community. Download the job description (.pdf)
- working knowledge of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program
- sensitivity to the issues faced by immigrant youth;
- bilingual in Spanish and English;
- strong oral and written communication skills;
- familiarity with Illinois' fourth congressional district;
- proficiency in word processing;
- thoroughness and careful attention to detail;
- skill in organizing and prioritizing work tasks and activities;
- ability to work well under pressure;
- ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others; and
- responsible, dependable and willing to learn.
- performs data entry, answers the telephones, notes constituent opinions, and greets visitors to the district office;
- acts as the grass roots representative for Congressman Gutierrez within his or her area of responsibility including answering casework correspondence, communicating with constituents, and acting as liaison with federal, district, and local agencies;
- manages efficiently and professionally all casework assignments;
- as Congressman Gutierrez' representative, acts as liaison and interfaces with city, county, district, and federal officials, community-based organizations and other persons or groups to form effective relationships;
- assesses casework for problems requiring Congressman Gutierrez' action and makes recommendations to the District Director;
- screens and refers cases, when appropriate, to other district offices;
- logs in all incoming and outgoing mail and incoming telephone calls relating to casework;
- continually screens active cases and acts as liaison with constituents to ensure that their cases are handled in a responsive manner;
- maintains up-to-date files on all cases and information of importance to the Office; and
- performs other duties as assigned.
DURATION AND COMPENSATION:
Six-month commitment in the district office as a Constituent Advocate and employee of the U.S. House of Representatives with salary and benefits.
Send your resume with cover letter and two references to: DREAMers@mail.house.gov
Equal opportunity employer. DACA-approved individuals are encouraged to apply.